Worldwide Day of Play
Saturday, September 29, 1-4pm
This year, Nickelodeon will be hosting the 14th annual Worldwide Day of Play. Nickelodeon’s WWDOP is an annual event designed to encourage children and parents to turn off the television and play, especially outdoors.
Join us at The Children’s Museum on this exciting day to let your imagination run wild with all of our fun exhibits and activities! We strongly encourage you to get out and:
- build an epic fort
- balance on the beams
- hula hoop
- experiment with balls and ramps
- dig in the fossil pit
- create natural art and more!
- Museum staffers will be on hand to help facilitate activities in our Wild Place!
The Museum became the first children’s museum based Nature Explore Classroom in Massachusetts after receiving national certification from the Arbor Day Foundation and Dimensions Educational Research Foundation. Nature Explore Classrooms are part of the Nature Explore program, a collaborative project of the Arbor Day Foundation and Dimensions Educational Research Foundation. The classrooms, which are being developed across the country, offer interactive elements such as musical instruments made of natural materials, garden or pathway areas and natural materials for building and creating art. Children who learn and grow in Certified Nature Explore Classrooms enhance concentration, develop creativity and problem-solving, relieve stress and improve skills in many areas of development.
Nickelodeon’s Top 10 Ways to Get Out and Play!
- Turn it off! Take those cell phones, TVs, computers and turn ‘em off. Enjoy the outdoors!
- Grab some friends. Because you can’t play dodge ball without a few pals!
- Get on wheels. Whether it’s a skateboard or a bike, life’s way more rad when you’re on some wheels!
- Snap a pic. Take a snapshot of a sunset, the ocean or some wildflowers—the options are endless!
- Build a fort. What do branches, rocks & tarps have in common? They are all the makings of an Epic fort!
- Take a hike. Sing a song, collect some pine cones, and explore a wilderness trail!
- Plan a pick-up game. Grab that Frisbee or Football and get some friends together for an awesome game of pick-up!
- Get Gardening. There’s nothing more satisfying than seeing the fruits (or vegetables) of your labor. Yum!
- Look up! Kick back and take a look at the sky…from the clouds to the stars, you can learn something new every day!
- Explore! The world is waiting for YOU to come explore it. Now get out and play!